Few days back, my mum asked me to go to the market. So I started dressing. I wore my tee and… my denim. Well! Wearing denim wasn’t as easy as I wrote. It was much more difficult. I somehow got in it and gasped some air, like I’ve taken four rounds of my building in blazing heat. So then I realized that those few extra pounds that I put up, is getting bigger for my clothes. And my only proper fit denim is facing difficulty in letting me in. You know, I never find proper fitting denims. I mean very rarely, once in 3-4 yrs. For finding that one denim, I have to experiment with many.
And there’s, one thing that always irritates me while buying it; Out of 10 denims they show, eight are overworked. I mean, some or other denims have funky, glittery (super girly), extra wornout … or I should say cheap designs. I have to keep telling the sales guy that I DON’T WANT DESIGNS, SHOW ME SIMPLE ONE’S ONLY. To which they say “Madam, yehi toh aaj kal ka fashion hai. Sab yahi pehente hai”. As if they know fashion more than me. Anyway, in the end, I either walk out of store or buy that one simple denim that doesn’t fit me. Huh! Why can’t they just understand, people might also like simple denims? I find the same thing even in the branded stores.
Once I went to a mall. It was during end of the sale. From the bunch of denims that were kept, I found one which had many metallic buttons. At one glance, I read the discounted price as 150rs. And I started thinking. Should I take it? I can wear it after removing buttons. But …what if the buttons don’t come out? What if I end up tearing big strip from it while removing buttons? What if it looks like ugly worn out denim after that? And while looking at the buttons I was thinking is this really worth 150rs? Then I asked my friend if I should buy this or not and said 150 isn’t too bad for an experiment. Because, technically, in that pant, I only wanted the denim, the zipper, the thread and the very crucial button. Plus all those things that I wanted were branded. BUT THEN!!! I thankfully saw the price tag again, which actually my friend showed to me. I had missed a zero. It wasn’t obviously written as Rs 0150. That Zero was actually after 150. So the denim which I thought was worth 150(or less, in presence of those buttons, the manpower which would be required in removing them, plus the risk of making it a fiasco) was of Rs 1500. I really thank god that I did not swipe my card for getting that denim thinking it would be 150rs. Else, my parents would have punished me to wear that denim till it gets ripped off. I can never imagine myself in that. It was one of the heaviest denim that I saw while shopping. I was thinking, which kind of weirdo would spend 1500rs for that heavy studded disaster? Maybe, if one of the Ambanis would want to give a hate gift to someone, this would be a better choice.
When I went downstairs, I found many denims that were simple, plane and cool. And they were more costly than that studded denim. By the way, I have noticed that clothes or shoes that have more laces, buckles, metal buttons, rings, different kind of glitters, worn-out patches etc., which make them look cheap(unless they are made in more classy and elegant style) are cheaper than the simple ones. Technically, more work is done to those fancy clothes, than to the simple ones. So, labor cost, fancy material cost etc., summing up should make it costlier than the simple clothes. But unfortunately it’s other way round.
I usually prefer medium or high waist denim. But now a days you only get low waist ones. Somehow I do manage to get medium ones. But you know what? Those always fall down, from medium to low waist. So bad luck here too.
Right now I have many many pants. Few of them are the denims (remember the bad fitting ones?) and others are formals, which too don’t fit me well. The average life span of my every proper fitting denim is four years. I usually get the next proper fit before one goes out of my wardrobe. And I usually wear only one denim throughout that four year period. But this time, that ‘only’ denim, does not fit me at all, because of my enlarged size.
If I go for finding one, there are great chances that I will end up buying something that I won’t wear at all. I hope I get that ‘four year contract denim’ this time. Else, I would have to buy skirts and change my tomboy look.
The good things...
You know, the best thing about denim is, finding money in the pockets of the old ones. That time you feel like you’ve won a gold medal, because you sometimes get it just when you need it. Plus for me it subtracts the need of bag. I carry my phone, money (including lots of coins) tissues, lip balm, hair band, few work related papers and sometimes pen too. And still, you can’t make out, if there’s anything in the pocket. Also, another good thing about denims is….it’s just so comfortable. It’s so you.
Well, I guess, that’s just not my story. I am sure many of you would be having problems with the proper fit denim. And there would be single denim that you wear for years together. Right?
And there’s, one thing that always irritates me while buying it; Out of 10 denims they show, eight are overworked. I mean, some or other denims have funky, glittery (super girly), extra wornout … or I should say cheap designs. I have to keep telling the sales guy that I DON’T WANT DESIGNS, SHOW ME SIMPLE ONE’S ONLY. To which they say “Madam, yehi toh aaj kal ka fashion hai. Sab yahi pehente hai”. As if they know fashion more than me. Anyway, in the end, I either walk out of store or buy that one simple denim that doesn’t fit me. Huh! Why can’t they just understand, people might also like simple denims? I find the same thing even in the branded stores.
Once I went to a mall. It was during end of the sale. From the bunch of denims that were kept, I found one which had many metallic buttons. At one glance, I read the discounted price as 150rs. And I started thinking. Should I take it? I can wear it after removing buttons. But …what if the buttons don’t come out? What if I end up tearing big strip from it while removing buttons? What if it looks like ugly worn out denim after that? And while looking at the buttons I was thinking is this really worth 150rs? Then I asked my friend if I should buy this or not and said 150 isn’t too bad for an experiment. Because, technically, in that pant, I only wanted the denim, the zipper, the thread and the very crucial button. Plus all those things that I wanted were branded. BUT THEN!!! I thankfully saw the price tag again, which actually my friend showed to me. I had missed a zero. It wasn’t obviously written as Rs 0150. That Zero was actually after 150. So the denim which I thought was worth 150(or less, in presence of those buttons, the manpower which would be required in removing them, plus the risk of making it a fiasco) was of Rs 1500. I really thank god that I did not swipe my card for getting that denim thinking it would be 150rs. Else, my parents would have punished me to wear that denim till it gets ripped off. I can never imagine myself in that. It was one of the heaviest denim that I saw while shopping. I was thinking, which kind of weirdo would spend 1500rs for that heavy studded disaster? Maybe, if one of the Ambanis would want to give a hate gift to someone, this would be a better choice.
When I went downstairs, I found many denims that were simple, plane and cool. And they were more costly than that studded denim. By the way, I have noticed that clothes or shoes that have more laces, buckles, metal buttons, rings, different kind of glitters, worn-out patches etc., which make them look cheap(unless they are made in more classy and elegant style) are cheaper than the simple ones. Technically, more work is done to those fancy clothes, than to the simple ones. So, labor cost, fancy material cost etc., summing up should make it costlier than the simple clothes. But unfortunately it’s other way round.
I usually prefer medium or high waist denim. But now a days you only get low waist ones. Somehow I do manage to get medium ones. But you know what? Those always fall down, from medium to low waist. So bad luck here too.
Right now I have many many pants. Few of them are the denims (remember the bad fitting ones?) and others are formals, which too don’t fit me well. The average life span of my every proper fitting denim is four years. I usually get the next proper fit before one goes out of my wardrobe. And I usually wear only one denim throughout that four year period. But this time, that ‘only’ denim, does not fit me at all, because of my enlarged size.
If I go for finding one, there are great chances that I will end up buying something that I won’t wear at all. I hope I get that ‘four year contract denim’ this time. Else, I would have to buy skirts and change my tomboy look.
The good things...
You know, the best thing about denim is, finding money in the pockets of the old ones. That time you feel like you’ve won a gold medal, because you sometimes get it just when you need it. Plus for me it subtracts the need of bag. I carry my phone, money (including lots of coins) tissues, lip balm, hair band, few work related papers and sometimes pen too. And still, you can’t make out, if there’s anything in the pocket. Also, another good thing about denims is….it’s just so comfortable. It’s so you.
Well, I guess, that’s just not my story. I am sure many of you would be having problems with the proper fit denim. And there would be single denim that you wear for years together. Right?

are!!
ReplyDeletetu aur main bahot similar hai na??
kya bolti hai??
isha
Right. But you succumb to the situation and buy the least worked out denims. I am a fighter :P
ReplyDelete